[Qgis-developer] Cad-Input for QGIS prototype

Bernhard Ströbl bernhard.stroebl at jena.de
Mon Jan 27 01:52:14 PST 2014

Hi Antonio and Olivier,

I will comment below.
Olivier, thanks for the move.

Am 26.01.2014 06:05, schrieb Antonio Locandro:
> Hi Oliver, thanks for copying me in this email
>
> Let me tell you that I have installed your prototype and tested it. I do
> think something like this is needed and I do like the fact that it works
> with other tools directly. I like the fact it gives you guidelines of
> what it will do like in CAD software. I think it would be nice to add
> also the possibility to use right clicks for actions

I have not tried your plugin but watched the video. Looking at defining
an angle it should be definable relative to a) the last segment b) North
c) another (helper) point

> To address your points
>
> 1) yes this feature is needed in QGIS, other COTS software have this
> functionality as Advanced Editing and I do rely heavily daily on this
> type of things for my job and is amongst several reasons why we cant
> switch for QGIS. I know the main user base of QGIS probably use it only
> for analysis but for some of us we need to digitize precisely
> coordinates based on field data or to create specific features.

would be useful here, too
Although I think most CAD functions for which currently nothing similar
is available in QGIS are for construction I still think, it would be
great to have them. (Of course not those to create 3D screws :)

> I would vote to keep to make it part of core as Advanced Tools or
> something, I also think it would be quite nice to merge the different
> CAD-like tools into one and have all this contributors who made this
> individual plugins work as a team. Resources are not always available
> and to join forces to me seems a better approach

The digitizingTools plugin is trying a similar approach, namely to
combine efforts and present _one_ plugin.

> 2) I would leave that for developers
>
> 3) I cant code, at least I am not at that level. I am just learning
> python and it might take some time to achieve a level to make something
> useful. I can however test the plugin and suggest features. I think the
> best way is to add issues in the github repository of bugs, improvements
> etc.

I am working more or less continuely on digitzingTools (if need arises).
I can support in Python coding.

> 4) Some ideas to start with, I will add them to github so you have them
> there also. I understand it is a prototype to see if it gathers traction
> but I feel it will
>
> - snap to midpoint (snapping options to behave like in CAD software)

more easy control over snapping in general: currently snapping has to be
set for each individual layer seperately: switch snapping on/off
completely, set snapping behaviour for all layers at once (segment,
node), additional snapping options needed: snap to middle of line, snap
perpendicularly

> - Add trim line

+1
trim two lines so they form a corner

> - Add extend line

digitizingTools already offers continuing digitizing of a line (though
not CAD like in prolonging the line in the direction of its last segment)
would be great to extend several lines until they meet

> - Add ability to create arcs e.g. Tan Tan Radius; select center and add
> radius

question would be how this is to be stored in GIS format

- general: provide a means to move the map while any digitizing tool is
active. possible solutions
a) shift/ctrl + drag
b) add scrollbars (looks arkward but users at once know what to do)

my 2cts

regards

Bernhard

__________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus signature database 9340 (20140126) __________