[Qgis-developer] point displacement style

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Jan 31 00:38:19 PST 2014

Hi Luca,

I can't help with the labeling. At the time the point displacement
renderer was developed (about 5 years ago), the labeling engine wasn't
as advanced as it is today. So it wasn't an option and also not
necessary to the project.

I would not regard this as a bug request, but as a feature request and I
guess it would a substantial bit of work to integrate the new labeling
engine with the point displacement renderer.

Do you have an idea how it should behave? I guess, depending on how many
points there are there isn't a solution to perfectly label all points.

-----

The point displacement renderer could also be improved to display points
in a cluster, not just around the circle, but also inside the circle.
This would be more complex to implement, but it would save map/screen
space and would visually more pleasing.

If you have funds available - please consider hiring a developer.

-----

Regarding the second issue: this may be a bug. Or in extreme cases - if
you have many points at a single location - the circle could be so big
that it is rendered outside of the visible rendered map area.

I am also a user of the point-displacement renderer - so I would like to
see improvments in this feature!

Thank you for bringing this up.

Andreas