[Qgis-developer] Navigation toolbar

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Jul 2 00:40:06 PDT 2014

Hi,

In addition to the discussion around the selection tool I would like to
discuss a reduction of buttons in the navigation toolbar. I think it
eats way too much screen-space by default. I'd like to suggest the
following:

1. get rid of the refresh button. I never use it. If you have to use it,
than it is a bug in the software.
2. Potentially remove the "Zoom to Layer" button. It is available in the
context menu of the layer and in the "View" menu, should you need it.
3. Potentially remove the "Zoom to native resolution button". I think it
is good enough if this functionality is available in the "View" menu. Do
people really use this function? Maybe with raster layers?
4. Potentially combine the touch zoom/and pan tool with the pan tool
into a single tool. Is there a specific reason why both of these tools
are available? Doesn't the "Touch zoom and pan" also support pan with
the mouse?
5. Potentially combine the pan to selected and zoom to selected into a
drop-down button menu, like we have with the measure or select tool.

Alternatively one could remove some of the buttons by default (see
above) and allow people to re-add them through customization should they
have the need.

What do people think?

Andreas