[Qgis-developer] SOSI support in QGIS

Stott, James fmrojst at fylkesmannen.no
Tue Jul 8 05:22:16 PDT 2014

Hi Andre,

I have now tested on 3 different machines with 3 different datasets.

Machines tested:

1) Work desktop running Windows 7
2) Work laptop running Windows 8
3) Home laptop running Windows 8

Datasets tested:

1) Naturvernområde (NATVERNOMR.SOS)
2) Naturtyper (NATURTYPER.SOS)
3) Felles kystkontur generalisert (Kystkontur_generalisert.SOS)

All 3 of these datasets are available here and are as they were when I downloaded them - I have not edited the data at all.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6r5nAOdEBZramdzNi15YzNqZUU&usp=sharing

ogr2ogr:

The following ogr2ogr commands complete fine on all 3 machines and the shapefiles open without any problems.

ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" kystkontur Kystkontur_generalisert.SOS
ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" naturtyper NATURTYPER.SOS
ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" natvernomr NATVERNOMR.SOS

It appears that all data is converted when I check the number of records in the SOSI file against the number of converted records in the shapefiles. The only warnings I get are about normalized/laundered field names, but I assume that's due to me converting to a shapefile.

QGIS:

In QGIS, I can only hear the popping noise on Windows 7. QGIS crashes on Windows 7 as well. The two Windows 8 machines experience no problems with the 3 sosi files that are available from the link above. The data loads and displays correctly, and QGIS never shutdowns unexpectedly. I get fewer problems when I load only one of the geometry types from one SOSI file.

So I don't know if this is a specific Windows 7 thing or not.

Hope this helps.

James