[Qgis-developer] Compiling QGIS and C++ Application with QGIS Headers on Windows 8.1

Joshua Quesenberry engnfrc at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 06:29:11 PDT 2014

Good Morning,

I tried painfully to get QGIS compiled last night, but I've had no such
luck. I'd like to try adding some features to the program in the future, but
I'd also like to be able to build my own C++ applications that have access
to the interface and can display basic map data.

I'm trying to follow the instructions on the INSTALL page
(http://htmlpreview.github.io/?http://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/doc/I
NSTALL.html )

My current setup is this:

Windows 8.1

Visual Studio Express 2013

QGIS was standalone installed a month or so ago and is version 2.2.0

QT 5.3

CMake

Git (I'm using the main download at http://msysgit.github.io/ along with
TortoiseGit)

Flex

Bison

OSGeo4W Advanced Installation with all the required packages

I tried Installing the Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 4, but
after an hour of installing it was no more than like 1% complete, so I
assume it was broken. Maybe I need the Windows SDK for Windows 8.1 and .NET
Framework 4.5.1?

Can you all help me get squared away? I was installing recent version of
software, but maybe I need the very specific versions that are mentioned
(Visual Studio Express 2010, QT 4.x, Windows 7)?

Just as some background with where I want to go with all of this; for one
I'm working on a small project in Visual Studio Express that allows me to
analyze the game Scotland Yard, for two I've been involved with Search and
Rescue for a little over a decade and we have some tools that are being
developed alongside ArcGIS that over an unknown period of time I'd like to
try to make available through freely available software.

Thanks!

Josh Q