[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-user] Stress about release plans

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Jul 22 04:29:22 PDT 2014

Il 22/07/2014 12:41, Victor Olaya ha scritto:
> I am not saying that this is ideal, and that developers should not write docs. I am
> saying that time is limited and, if we put those restrictions, we might end up
> rejecting a lot of interesting functionality.

Sorry for jumping in late. These are some of my thoughts:

* of course we all love stability; the solution is to pay developers to fix bugs -
nothing more, nothing less
* all the same, we all love a complete and thorough documentation; see the above (and
very good Otto comments), plus the fact that everybody can contribute to improve it
(no need to be a developer, all the contrary in fact: newbies are often the best
documenters)
* cooperating on documentation writing, as Otto and Régis suggested, is certainly the
best way to go; it's a pity seeing tons of tutorials, rewritten over and over, and
never contributed back
* documentation effort for processing modules has started, and it has been announced;
if anyone is interested, it is easy to contribute, either with time or money; please
refrain from complaining if you do not
* we (Faunalia) also do hundreds of courses; IMHO it is the duty of the trainer to
keep up to date - this is what makes courses interesting after all; IMHO, doing a
course on an old version is not doing a good service, neither to trainees nor to the
sw; I think explaining "see, we're doing the course on the latest and greatest
version - this comes with some less tested features; be patient, bugs will be fixed,
probably soon, possibly paid by others" is good enough
* we are working on free software, not on a cracked proprietary *GIS version; IMHO is
is a duty of the trainer to explain the difference to trainees, and show them how to
open a ticket, and how to contribute for its solution; I do this since 2006, and many
of my trainees are now contributors.

All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu