[Qgis-developer] have aggregate/window expressions ever been discussed?

Hugo Mercier hugo.mercier at oslandia.com
Mon Jun 2 00:02:20 PDT 2014

Le 31/05/2014 02:33, Olivier Dalang a écrit :
> Hi !
>
> Great thread :-)
>
> Just a thought : if we are able to load shapefiles and other non-db
> formats through spatialite, is there a point in still being able to load
> them the old way ? Won't this just cause confusion, and force us to
> maintain an artificial and less powerful query language ?

In my mind, we must not disturb the current way of loading data.

> And what about database data providers, couldn't we load all of them
> through spatialite's virtual ogr, so to allow an unified and full
> featured spatial query language on ALL layers ? Wouldn't this also open
> the door for caching data of distant servers ?

Using the SQL dialect of SQLite/Spatialite could allow to add powerful
features to poor data formats (shapefiles, csv, etc.)
But as discussed, it should not be considered as the unifiying SQL for
all SQL dialects (it is less powerful).
However, you could use it to offer a unifying view on a set of data
sources, including other DBRMS, if you really want to.

As discussed elsewhere
(http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Postgis-Caching-Enhancement-td5132383.html),
SQLite could also be used for caching. Not sure yet how it could be
mixed with the virtual table feature ...