[Qgis-developer] have aggregate/window expressions ever been discussed?

Vincent Picavet vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Tue Jun 3 14:54:43 PDT 2014

Hello,

Le mercredi 28 mai 2014 19:29:21, Régis Haubourg a écrit :
> Hi,
> the points Matthias raises are really good points:
> - how much can we trust sqlite (the community doesn't seem too opened)? And
> how stable library versions are (we've had many troubles with spatialite
> versions)

SQLite is here to stay, it is embedded in almost every portable device and a
strong and mature piece of code. Probably the most deployed database in the
world.
SpatiaLite is indeed a different piece of cake in term of contribution openness
and community. We can hope that GeoPackage development will end up
rationalizing and optimizing development efforts on spatial SQLite-based
solutions. We can also be part of this effort if needed.

> - having redundant ways of doing the same thing is one of biggest criticism
> of users here. An advanced user who knows each tool will know what to do.

There is a question of user interface and a question of stable and technically
strong development. Redundant technical ways of doing the same thing can be
hidden through carefully designed UI so that the user knows what use case
should be done which way (and even do not realize there are other ways).

> those risks explain why current tests are feasibility tests only. We need
> those investigations to be aware of the limits of each possible approach.
Right.

Vincent