[Qgis-developer] have aggregate/window expressions ever been discussed?

Vincent Picavet vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Tue Jun 3 14:59:16 PDT 2014

Hello,

Le mardi 27 mai 2014 16:06:55, Andreas Neumann a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I understand your concerns, but on the other hand - how would you treat
> all data sources equally well, if QGIS does not implement that stuff
> within QGIS for data providers that do not implement this? One could
> still write a QGIS expression to SQL compiler for those providers who
> support these functions (Matthias Kuhn proposed that).
>
> We will need these aggregate functions in forms for information purposes
> and in the print composer for generating reports. Having to write
> Postgis-Views would work for database pros. But let's not forget that
> not all of our users are database professionals and not all of the users
> have their data in Postgis.
>
> Personally, I don't care where these aggregate functions are implemented
> and executed, as long as they are easy to use and do not enforce the
> usage of a specific data format.

I would not be shocked if QGIS had an "official" local data format, allowing the
user to get all features when using it, and other formats for
interoperability.
I do not think that this would disturb users as :
* almost all software do this
* QGIS already behaves like this, with read-only data formats for examples
It would almost simplify the situation as in "use the official format or accept
limitations".

And of course having a GeoPackage-compatible format would be a win.
This kind of change could trigger a new major version though, to make it clear
that this is an important change.

Vincent

> Andreas
>
> Am 27.05.2014 09:21, schrieb Vincent Picavet:
> > Hello Andreas,
> >
> > Le mardi 27 mai 2014 10:28:13, Andreas Neumann a écrit :
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> We would definitely need this functionality for our application modules
> >> - we need functions like "min", "max", "mean", "sum", "average" to work
> >> on 1:n relations.
> >>
> >> Now that we have relations in QGIS, I think that aggregate functions are
> >> a logical next step. Something to seriously consider in 2.6.
> >
> > As already stated before, I am worrying about current developments
around
> > a lot of features looking like database features :
> > * Table joins
> > * relations
> > * "SQL-like" processing
> > * .. including aggregates
> >
> > Implementing all these features on top of QGIS seems reinventing the
> > wheel, and database wheels are particularly hard to design and implement
> > well. I really think we should re-study the global design of such
> > features to have a clear and clean strategy instead of stacking features
> > on features, lacking coherency.
> >
> > As stated by Regis, basing this work on top of SQLite may be the best
> > option, but more study has to be done and a general agreement is needed
> > to go this way.
> >
> > Vincent
> >
> >> Andreas

Postgresql