[Qgis-developer] Opinion on plugin named prepair (and possible likes)

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Mon Jun 9 10:27:03 PDT 2014

Hi Ken,

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Ken Arroyo Ohori <
G.A.K.ArroyoOhori at tudelft.nl> wrote:

> Hi Larry,
>
> Maybe I’m mistaken here, but doesn’t Homebrew always compile from source?
> Because if so, I’d think that even the mostly statically linked binary
> would still need to download and install a Boost bottle (albeit one that
> creates a static version of the libraries).

Homebrew builds from source, unless there is a 'bottle' (binary package)
available and the user has not specified special options to the package
(all bottles are made with default options). Homebrew has a great Jenkins
CI setup at github that allows bottles to be made on-the-fly when testing
builds from pull requests. So, essentially, new bottle binaries are
available as soon as changes are pushed to the main repo. Secondary
Homebrew 'taps' (like Homebrew-science, similar to a Linux ppa) will soon
have this integration as well.

> But in any case, if it helps, I’d be happy to add the functionality to
> create mostly static versions of prepair to our CMake file, perhaps as a
> parameter.

Yes, please do. This will help instances where the QGIS.app bundle is
anticipated to be completely or mostly standalone and prepair executable is
bundled, e.g. libgdal.dylib also bundled, like with future OSGeo4Mac and
current Boundless distros.

Regards,

Larry