[Qgis-developer] Four month cycle too fast

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr
Thu Jun 19 01:32:00 PDT 2014

Hi,
again +1 with Andreas.

Alex, big corps are real people, trying to do their best to test qgis like
every other community member, and also having to do support, training,
packaging, deploying inside their corp. We often do not have teams of plenty
members on QGIS. Skipping a version for user deployement is an option, but
does not change anything in the fact that we have to closely follow every
version and test it. If not, we have the load reported on next version.
A too fast release cycle leads to the fact that qgis community looses those
testers and contributors because they can't follow that.. Not sure we can
afford that.

6 months or  8 months, with a longer Release candidate period is a good
compromise to me. Also, rc period should not fall during holiday periods.
For France, we have august, christmas and sometimes May to avoid. How about
others? Maybe access stats of the internet site could give us an global view
of those period of unactivity?

Cheers,
Régis