[Qgis-developer] Four month cycle too fast

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Thu Jun 19 03:33:01 PDT 2014

Il 19/06/2014 12:19, Andreas Neumann ha scritto:

> I'd like to add to the discussion that there will be more organizations
> investing in bug-fixing in the future. Yesterday, a Swiss canton told me
> that they will invest 5000 CHF each year in QA/bugfixing in the future.
> I am pretty sure that more organizations will follow.

Wonderful, this is the way to go IMHO.

> But it is important that we will provide bug-fix releases and that there
> is a reasonable time available for testing. The short releases do not
> help at all for organizations - because each new release introduces more
> and different bugs.

The above mentioned resources could be used for maintaining a stable branch, and
backporting.

> We users need bug-free software more than a predictable release date. We
> don't need QGIS at an exact specific time. But we cannot accept that
> some features are broken that are key to our work.

Agreed fully: that's what Blocker category is for.
All the best, and thanks for this important discussion.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
Corsi QGIS e PostGIS: http://www.faunalia.eu/training.html