[Qgis-developer] Four month cycle too fast

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Thu Jun 19 03:44:58 PDT 2014

Good to hear that there are organizations putting money into QA. Thanks
a lot.

I think there are different categories of users, experimental early
adopters and organizations going for stability at the expense of
waiting longer for new features.

To get the best for both, LTS releases may be a good option. One LTS
branch every 8 or 12 months which gets fixes backported and 1 or 2
other releases in between which work the way we currently have it.

Advantages are
New features get tested in the in-between releases (they will get used
because they are not called experimental or testing or rc).
Big organizations use the same LTS release (in comparison to the
general advice of "take every second release" which will bring one org
to use the Jun release and the other one the Feb release) and can
collaborate with bugfixing
Backports of bugfixes have always to be done for one specific/defined
version. (In comparison: if a company skips release 2.6 they are still
with 2.4 in the 2.7 period, and nobody will backport to 2.4 at that
stage)

Best,
Matthias