[Qgis-developer] Processing: module duplications

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Mon Jun 23 09:42:40 PDT 2014

Hi all.
We are thinking about the future of Processing framework. The duplication shown among
modules is certainly a good thing, as it allows richer analyses and more control and
verification, but can be intimidating even for skilled GIS users.
We have been discussed this before, but I came up with the conclusion that a
reasonable approach would be to have three levels:
* basic - only one choice, no overly complex modules
* normal - all well tested modules, minimizing duplication
* experimental - out in the wild, all modules.
This would improve the user experience, and would require less maintenance by core devs.
Of course the selection of the modules for the second category is rather complex, and
would require much thinking.
Opinions?
All the best.
--