[Qgis-developer] Processing: module duplications

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 09:50:26 PDT 2014

Hi Paolo,
I agree with you, a cleaner organization of Processing tools is advisable
to reduce the confusion in users.
It's rather difficult to teach them in a clear way too! :)

IMHO this reorganization should consider also the integration of other
sparse analysis/processing tools, like the ones under the Vector menu. I
know it depends on their implemention (and its feasibility in the present
Processing model), but it's one of the major sources of confusions or
users. A typical question: why we have the Processing toolbox and a Vector
menu, where some tools overlap, while other are only available under Vector
menu, and so not usable inside a Processing model/workflow?

I hope we will find time (=money) to close this gap and, hopefully, have
most of the analysis tools under the same structure. Well... all but the
C++ ones :(

giovanni

> Hi all.
> We are thinking about the future of Processing framework. The duplication
> shown among
> modules is certainly a good thing, as it allows richer analyses and more
> control and
> verification, but can be intimidating even for skilled GIS users.
> We have been discussed this before, but I came up with the conclusion that
> reasonable approach would be to have three levels:
> * basic - only one choice, no overly complex modules
> * normal - all well tested modules, minimizing duplication
> * experimental - out in the wild, all modules.
> This would improve the user experience, and would require less maintenance
> by core devs.
> Of course the selection of the modules for the second category is rather
> complex, and
> would require much thinking.
> Opinions?
> All the best.