[Qgis-developer] QGIS Crash - Serious problem in 2x

Bernhard Ströbl bernhard.stroebl at jena.de
Tue Jun 24 02:06:48 PDT 2014

Hi Matthias,

probably this is academical...

Am 24.06.2014 10:42, schrieb Matthias Kuhn:
> Hi Bernhard,
>
> I wouldn't say no sense at all. It strongly depends on the context, but
> if you have for example a lesson for geography students and are
> introducing CRS/projections and their properties one could want to add a
> scale bar in degrees.

But would that scalebar show the degrees for lon or lat?
If the first (lon) for which latitude?
Either of the two: how do you want to tell people that this scalebar is
only true for North-South (lat) or East-West (lon) measurements and must
not be used in any other direction? IMHO a scale bar is to enable
readers to use their ruler to measure a distance on the map in _any_
direction.

> I agree that it's not very common and most people
> are probably unused, but if you explicitly state the fact that the map
> is in degrees you might even avoid confusion and prevent people from
> trying to compare distances.

But adding a scale bar encourages users to compare distances! The fact
that a map is suitable to measure and compare distances is not decided
by the map units but by the used projection and the covered area. If
your map is in degrees just enable the graticules and (if useful) add a
scalebar in m/km/miles (does that work with degrees? I have not tried.
If not this would be a feature request.)

BTW: for which point of a map is the scale bar currently created
(thinking of non-distance-true projections and large areas e.g. continents)?

regards

Bernhard