[Qgis-developer] Renaming Save Style -> Save Properties (Vector layer dialog)

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 02:38:04 PST 2014

Hey all,

I would like to get some opinions on Save, Load, Restore Default Style..
buttons.  Personally I find these labeled wrong for what action they take.
 Originally these buttons would only save the information from the Style
tab out to a .qml file however now that has evolved to saving other
information that is not related to style, things like;:the edit forms;
included WMS, excluded WMS, etc.   To me these are more properties of the
layer and less about the style so the name is misleading.  Sharing these
also becomes hard because if I only want the style part it can also
override the label and form settings I have.  Hand editing the XML is the
only real option to remove the other settings, which is a pain

Proposing: Rename from Save, Load Style to Save Properties, Load Properties.

Motivation:  I would like to add the ability to save just the style
information out to a new file type (maybe something like .qstyle) that
would just contain the renderer-v2 XML block.  This would allow sharing of
just the renderer style and would also give me the ability to expand the
Style Manager to allow saving of prebuilt styles e.g I would like to
premake a planning scheme style that all ready contains the right values to
symbols that I could share and load.     By Mixing non style information in
the .qml files means this is not as simple as it could be.

We could also expand the above logic to only save the label section out to
create a label "style" manager.

Thoughts?

- Nathan