[Qgis-developer] Renaming Save Style -> Save Properties (Vector layer dialog)

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Sat Mar 1 03:16:47 PST 2014

On 2014/03/01 12:38, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I would like to get some opinions on Save, Load, Restore Default
> Style.. buttons.  Personally I find these labeled wrong for what
> action they take.  Originally these buttons would only save the
> information from the Style tab out to a .qml file however now that has
> evolved to saving other information that is not related to style,
> things like;:the edit forms; included WMS, excluded WMS, etc.   To me
> these are more properties of the layer and less about the style so the
> name is misleading.  Sharing these also becomes hard because if I only
> want the style part it can also override the label and form settings I
> have.  Hand editing the XML is the only real option to remove the
> other settings, which is a pain
>
> Proposing: Rename from Save, Load Style to Save Properties, Load
> Properties.
>
> Motivation:  I would like to add the ability to save just the style
> information out to a new file type (maybe something like .qstyle) that
> would just contain the renderer-v2 XML block.  This would allow
> sharing of just the renderer style and would also give me the ability
> to expand the Style Manager to allow saving of prebuilt styles e.g I
> would like to premake a planning scheme style that all ready contains
> the right values to symbols that I could share and load.     By Mixing
> non style information in the .qml files means this is not as simple as
> it could be.
>
> We could also expand the above logic to only save the label section
> out to create a label "style" manager.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> - Nathan

Hi All,
Please treat this as "thread enhancing" and not "thread hijacking" :-)

If there are going to be modifications done to styling, please consider
adding a feature whereby the various styles chosen or experimented with,
are auto-saved for that mapsheet (perhaps in your project files).
I find when editing, edge-matching or QAing various mapsheets, I want to
easily switch between styles - I might choose "single symbol" for the
map I am editing, but "rule-based" for the adjoining maps. Rule based
choices would change depending on scenarios, so it does not make sense
to save a rule-based set (I could end up with too many).
So, what I am seeking is the ability to switch between the 5 style
categories, and not lose the ones I may have set up a few minutes ago.
If I close QGIS, and come back to the project later, I would like to see
the last styles I had set up for a mapsheet, still be available when I
click through the style options.

Hope I'm making myself clear.
Thanks & regards,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Service

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za