[Qgis-developer] [QGIS-UX] Fwd: Re: Renaming Save Style -> Save Properties (Vector layer dialog)

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Sun Mar 2 06:59:11 PST 2014

I have cross-posted to ux and developer, because this conversation seems
to be running on both lists.Perhaps someone shopuld pull it from one of
the lists?
Your call, but see my bottom-posted thoughts:

On 2014/03/02 16:25, Anita Graser wrote:

> [...]
Please consider this methodolgy:
Currently, when QGIS loads a map layer, certain default things happen:
Styles get assigned, etc etc.
As a maplayer is loaded (or perhaps only when the user changes something
(like style)), QGIS should dump a [maplayername].qgis file, text format,
perhaps keyword-value layout, into the directory that the map is stored.
This file will then contain all the internal QGIS defaults, and of
course updates to the current (style ) status, as the user changes them.
The benefits of using this implementation scheme could be vast:

  * For deployment purposes, users could create/edit this file outside
    of QGIS
  * QGIS Dev could implement a methodology whereby user scripts could
    read and write to this maplayer specific file - for example: map
    production information whilst capture staff are creating features.
  * This file could even be designed to live at the project level, and
    at the user level - this way departmental level defaults could be
    set (deployed), and for those users who need it, these could be
    over-ridden by having that filename als local to the user, but with
    user specific values.
  * Should any of these filenames only have some of the default
    keyword-values, QGIS could look for the other defaults at higher
    filename level (ie project level if user-level does not exist), or
    as currently, at the internally stored default actions.

The above implementation strategy would not need a special "export" menu
as the information would then always be stored in a user useable file.
If this file becomes corrupt or nonsensical, QGIS actions could revert
to the default internal actions.

As time goes by, I reckon QGIS developers would find many more uses for
this map-layer specific file mechanism, should it be available.

Hope I'm making sense.

Kind regards,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Service

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za