[Qgis-developer] [QGIS-UX] Fwd: Re: Renaming Save Style -> Save Properties (Vector layer dialog)

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Sun Mar 2 09:13:48 PST 2014

Hey Zoltan

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Zoltan Szecsei <zoltans at geograph.co.za>wrote:

8<---------------------snip---------------------------------

Please consider this methodolgy:
> Currently, when QGIS loads a map layer, certain default things happen:
> Styles get assigned, etc etc.
> As a maplayer is loaded (or perhaps only when the user changes something
> (like style)), QGIS should dump a [maplayername].qgis file, text format,
> perhaps keyword-value layout, into the directory that the map is stored.
> This file will then contain all the internal QGIS defaults, and of course
> updates to the current (style ) status, as the user changes them.
> The benefits of using this implementation scheme could be vast:
>
>    - For deployment purposes, users could create/edit this file outside
>    of QGIS
>    - QGIS Dev could implement a methodology whereby user scripts could
>    read and write to this maplayer specific file - for example: map production
>    information whilst capture staff are creating features.
>    - This file could even be designed to live at the project level, and
>    at the user level - this way departmental level defaults could be set
>    (deployed), and for those users who need it, these could be over-ridden by
>    having that filename als local to the user, but with user specific values.
>     - Should any of these filenames only have some of the default
>    keyword-values, QGIS could look for the other defaults at higher filename
>    level (ie project level if user-level does not exist), or as currently, at
>    the internally stored default actions.
>

> And the downsides could be (if I understand your proposal correctly):

* Working on a shared file store you are going to wreak all kinds of havoc
with user experience as different users overwrite the same file concurrently
* Working with a read only directory it obviously wont work
* Working with remote datasources (PostGIS etc.) it won't work

 The above implementation strategy would not need a special "export" menu
> as the information would then always be stored in a user useable file.
> If this file becomes corrupt or nonsensical, QGIS actions could revert to
> the default internal actions.
>
> As time goes by, I reckon QGIS developers would find many more uses for
> this map-layer specific file mechanism, should it be available.
>
> Hope I'm making sense.

Not completely for me :-)

Regards

Tim

>  Kind regards,
> Zoltan

> Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
> Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
> GIS and Photogrammetric Service
>
> P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.
>
> Mobile: +27-83-6004028
> Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za

Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net