[Qgis-developer] What about a qgis project add function ?

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr
Sun Mar 2 11:31:53 PST 2014

Andre Joost wrote
> Am 02.03.2014 07:21, schrieb Geo DrinX:
>  > Hi Regis,
>  >
>  > do you intend this :
>  >
>  > "ImportProject is a plugin that lets you load layers from another
> project
>  > file. Just select a project (.qgs) file,
>  >
>  > check off the layers you wish to load, and it will include them in your
>  > current project with all styling.
>  >
>  > Works with vector, raster, database and web service layers."
>  >
>  >

> Unfortunately, it throws error messages for me:
>
>  > Traceback (most recent call last):
>  >   File
> "C:/Users/Joost/.qgis2/python/plugins\importLayersFromProject\main.py",
> line 65, in run
>  >     window.populateTable(filePath)
>  >   File
> "C:/Users/Joost/.qgis2/python/plugins\importLayersFromProject\LayerDialog.py",
> line 31, in populateTable
>  >     info = getMapInfo(maps.item(i))
>  >   File
> "C:/Users/Joost/.qgis2/python/plugins\importLayersFromProject\LayerDialog.py",
> line 85, in getMapInfo
>  >     return
> {'name':name,'ds':ds,'mtype':mtype,'geom':geom,'provider':provider}
>  > UnboundLocalError: local variable 'geom' referenced before assignment
>
> Adding a project with absolute paths and without tile layers works, so I
> suggest to catch these cases before the error message occurs.
>
> The plugin Homepage is a little odd:
>
> <http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/importLayersFromProject/>
>
> calls this bug tracker page:
>
> <http://hub.qgis.org/projects/ImportLayersFromProject>
>
> which does not exist. From the plugin page inside QGIS, these pages are
> not accessible either. I think you messed up with "import" and "Import".
>
> Greetings,
> André Joost

Thanks André,
I will have a look at it, I just ported the plugin to 2.0 after having asked
the permission from Barry, but I admit I did very little tests!
Geo DrinX, can you tell me if you're going to work on that? I'm planning my
budgets for the on-going year, and I have that on my list (low priority). I
would fund the checkbox in embed layer dialog, and maybe an option in open
project dialog to ask for opening as new or append to current project.
Opinions on that second option? I'm experimenting it in a French plugin
(create menu), and I must say it's quite convenient to add the whole
project, and drop the layers I don't need. This is pure ergonomy, maybe we
should discuss it in UX list