[Qgis-developer] Fwd: A pipinstall plugin is possible? First: What's the difference between the the Osgeo4w Shell?

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 01:48:44 PST 2014

I don't know what's the ongoing progress on this topic but I think that a
system for the dependencies management should be embedded inside QGIS. I'm
not in favour for a plugin to do that.
Having an integrated pip would be more transparent to the user and the
plugin developers. The developer should only provide a requirements file
which should be transparently managed by the QGIS' Python system.
I heard that Nathan is working on something similar?

giovanni

> Hi to all,
> I'm trying to realize a little plugin to install python modules on windows
> via pip.
>
> In first, I would like make a simple thing:
> Run get-pip.py inside the plugin  but I encounter two different problem:
>
> What is the shell to call? (Please, don't mind If I point at dufour, is my
> qgis crushtest dummy )
>
> subprocess.call('C:\\PROGRA~2\\QGISDU~1\\Osgeo4W.bat python get-pip.py')
>
> or
>
> subprocess.call('"C:\Program Files (x86)\QGIS Dufour\OSGeo4W.bat python
> get-pip.py')
>
> Apparently they are the same, but if I install something through  python
> inside one, I cannot import the module inside the other.
>
> So, what's the right way to call inside a python plugin the shell?
>
> I found also some problems in using subprocess on windows, and I'm
> developping using QProcess class.
>
> Second question:
> If I run
> subprocess.call('"C:\Program Files (x86)\QGIS Dufour\OSGeo4W.bat python
> get-pip.py')
>
> I receive: Nothing distributions at all found fo install...
>
> So the solution are easy: distribute qgis with pip and easy_install
> inside, or install pip and easy_intall from shell as I did, then we can use
> the plugin as you check out in my screenshots:
> [0]
>
> So, if you have suggestions plese let me know.
>
> Best regards
> Luca
>

> [0]
>
> https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Z6xJHji33E8/UxURKBr1NpI/AAAAAAAADrg/2XWnxf7q6fA/w1075-h604-no/testpipinstaller.PNG