[Qgis-developer] Fwd: A pipinstall plugin is possible? First: What's the difference between the the Osgeo4w Shell?

Tom Kralidis tomkralidis at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 03:56:28 PST 2014

On Thu, 6 Mar 2014, G. Allegri wrote:

> Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 02:31:41 -0800
> From: G. Allegri <giohappy at gmail.com>
> To: Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com>
> Cc: qgis-developer List <qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org>
> Subject: Re: [Qgis-developer] Fwd: A pipinstall plugin is possible? First:
>     What's the difference between the the Osgeo4w Shell?
>

>> Windows doesn't ship with any version of Python. Yay Windows!  So we
>> bundle our own.  I personally don't mind this so much because it's easier
>> to control the setup if we bundle it.
>>
>> The main thing here is just including pip and easy_install in all the
>> windows installs, standalone and osgeo4w.  Jurgen has told me that
>> easy_install is included in the 64 bit versions but not 32 bit versions. Is
>> that correct Jurgen?
>>
>> If pip is included we can easily have plugins tell us what they need and
>> we can install them.
>>

> +1, this is exactly what I was imaging.
> A requirements.txt for pip would be all that a dev should write.

+1, this would be great (we currently manage and bundle deps in MetaSearch
as a workaround).

- we would have to make sure the requirements file is standardized
   (others may have different / additional ones, like requirements-dev.txt,
   pip-requirements.txt, etc.).

- for MetaSearch, the requirements.txt file never makes it to the QGIS
   runtime, so plugin providers would need to make sure it does