[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-user] Installerpackage QGIS 2.2 OSX 10.6?

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Sat Mar 8 01:21:15 PST 2014

Hi Gene, et al.,

Apologies for the cross-post to dev list.

On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 12:45 AM, gene <martin.laloux at gmail.com> wrote:

> You can still use the masters versions of Larry Shaffer,
> http://qgis.dakotacarto.com/ <http://qgis.dakotacarto.com/>  : every day a
> new Snow Leopard version

While this is true, both the 10.7+ and 1.0.6 nightlies are currently built
against William's frameworks. In the event his supporting frameworks will
not install for 10.6, that nightly will be suspended. The nightlies are
very 'bare bones' for running unit test suites and for testers to help
debug the core application. They are a far cry from the out-of-the-box,
heavily bundled installers from William, and the nightlies should not be
considered, or recommended, as a production tool.

On the brighter side, the OSGeo4Mac project [0] (a 'tap' for Homebrew) is
coming along nicely, with about a 90% feature parity with William's
framework builds. I have not tested a full build (QGIS and Processing
supporting installs) under 10.6 yet, but it looks like I should do this
ASAP. If anyone knows how to use Homebrew, they can give it a try
themselves, basically without having to read QGIS's INSTALL doc.

These are the pending changes that will affect future nightlies:

1)  Move to using OSGeo4Mac as the basis for 10.6 and 10.7+ nightly builds
2)  Continue an additional 10.7+ nightly built off of William's frameworks
3)  Add new modules to QGIS (in parallel to current) to leverage CMake's
built-in bundling utilities
4)  Implement pull request #1804: Add objective-c++ interface to Mac Cocoa
libraries [1]
5)  Add Sparkle framework (hopefully goes well) to allow for in-app,
auto-download/install updates

Reasoning for these steps:

1) Since Homebrew offers support for 'bottled' builds (pre-built binaries),
the nightly 'downloads' can be just moved to bottles, and Homebrew can
automate their installation. Such bottles, especially for supporting libs,
can also be used to sustain a Travis (or possibly Jenkins) continuous
integration server [2].

The Homebrew setup offers an additional testing facet to nightlies: testers
can readily build and use the latest versions of supporting libs, like
GDAL, to test against the latest QGIS. This will help the QGIS project stay
ahead of possible incompatibility issues.

2) Since William's installers are so mature, widely-used and known, it
makes sense to continue to offer nightlies for testers that don't want to
(or can't) compile anything. This helps debug releases and subsequent
fixes, and makes it as simple as possible for users to work with a nightly.
However, this setup requires the most bandwidth, which is another reason
why I'll be dropping it for 10.6.

3) CMake's BundleUtilites [3, 4] are considerably more mature now than when
William tackled the large effort of creating QGIS's current bundling setup.
Leveraging CMake's toolset will allow for quicker adoption of bundling ever
more Processing supporting libs/executables and allow to future-proof
complete bundling of QGIS off of the OSGeo4Mac installation (as well as
others).

4) and 5) An embedded auto-updater will allow for testers to just launch
QGIS and choose to download and auto-install the latest nightly, regardless
of its build backend or supporting lib setup. This will also test the
auto-updater itself, which, when found to be stable, can be incorporated
into release versions.

I do all of this nightly build stuff on borrowed CPU time and disk space
from my gracious employer. It would be really nice to do this on hardware
provided by the QGIS project or OSGeo, but this means purchasing at least
one highend Mac, since legally virtualizing or installing any Mac OS X
requires Mac hardware. A minimum of 4 (ideally 8) CPU cores would be
necessary.

Anyone have $1000-1200 USD they can donate to the QGIS project, for their
very own decent Mac Mini? (That would include AppleCare.) I'd donate my
time and know-how.

[0] https://github.com/dakcarto/homebrew-osgeo4mac
[1] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/1084
[2]