[Qgis-developer] Run stable and master versions of QGIS on Ubuntu

Eric Goddard egoddard1010 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 12:35:02 PDT 2014

You could try downloading the source package for gdal and modifying
the debian/rules file to add the necessary --with-FileGDB and
--with-MRSID=... lines. Installing the modified gdal with the package
manager should allow it to be used with the stable QGIS from the
ubuntuGIS repo and the development version from debian-nightly. I've
never actually done this with ubuntu/debian but I do the equivalent on
Arch Linux. For ubuntu you would do something like:

mkdir ~/build
cd ~/build
sudo apt-get build-dep gdal
apt-get source gdal
cd gdal-1.10.0 # or whatever directory it unpacks...
nano debian/rules
##edit file to include the necessary --with-FileGDB and --with-MrSID
lines and cd back to the main package directory and build the package:
cd ..
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -nc

install the packages with something along the lines of
sudo dpkg -i gdal*

Assuming that worked, you would then probably want to put a hold on
gdal so it doesn't get updated and lose your customizations.

disclaimer: I have never tried this with ubuntu, but that appears to
be the general flow from a little bit of googling.

Eric