[Qgis-developer] Run stable and master versions of QGIS on Ubuntu

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Tue Mar 11 13:10:12 PDT 2014

Am 11.03.2014, 20:35 Uhr, schrieb Eric Goddard <egoddard1010 at gmail.com>:

> You could try downloading the source package for gdal and modifying
> the debian/rules file to add the necessary --with-FileGDB and
> --with-MRSID=... lines. Installing the modified gdal with the package
> manager should allow it to be used with the stable QGIS from the
> ubuntuGIS repo and the development version from debian-nightly. I've
> never actually done this with ubuntu/debian but I do the equivalent on
> Arch Linux. For ubuntu you would do something like:
>
> mkdir ~/build
> cd ~/build
> sudo apt-get build-dep gdal
> apt-get source gdal
> cd gdal-1.10.0 # or whatever directory it unpacks...
> nano debian/rules
> ##edit file to include the necessary --with-FileGDB and --with-MrSID
> lines and cd back to the main package directory and build the package:
> cd ..
> dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -nc
>
> install the packages with something along the lines of
> sudo dpkg -i gdal*
>
> Assuming that worked, you would then probably want to put a hold on
> gdal so it doesn't get updated and lose your customizations.
>
> disclaimer: I have never tried this with ubuntu, but that appears to
> be the general flow from a little bit of googling.
>
> Eric

Hi Eric,
thanx a ton for your input.
I'm still quite unfamiliar with building from source and how all these
things play together.

What I still do not get is, why my requirements seem to be so "exotic",
that there is no easier way for all this. But maybe I manage to solve all
this and maybe post it somewhere.
Lots of googling ahead ... after already googling a lot.

> Assuming that worked, you would then probably want to put a hold on
> gdal so it doesn't get updated and lose your customizations.
I assume that too, but how would I do "put a hold on gdal"?

Cheers
Bernd

> [...]
>> of the knots in my brain)
>>
>> On the other hand, to use QGIS "professionaly", I need GDAL with FGDB
>> and
>> MrSID support, so I will have to compile GDAL myself beforehand.
>> But wanting to use it for work, I better not use the master version but
>> the
>> stable.
>>
>> So, as I see it, it would be much better to compile the stable version
>> and
>> then get the master version for the candies and the testing from
>> debian-nightly.
>> But all guidelines propose it the other way round, which I do not really
>> understand ...
>>
>> Said this, when I want to compile the stable version instead of the
>> master,
>> but with a "handmade" GDAL, is there any way to take benefit from the
>> ubuntugis-unstable repository (things I can install beforehand and then
>> disabling the repository again)?
>>
>> As I said, I have knots in my brain on this and never managed to have a
>> nice
>> and easy environment on Ubuntu as I have with Windows (which is
>> saaaad....)
>> Can someone help me with the surgery?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Bernd
>>

>> Am 11.03.2014 17:59, schrieb Alex Mandel:
>>
>> The only non-compile way I can think of on an Ubuntu box would be to run
>> a virtual machine. Otherwise you have to compile to avoid package
>> manager conflicts.
>>
>> So up to you which is more time/hassle to setup.
>>
>> Enjoy,
>> Alex
>>
>> On 03/10/2014 01:26 PM, Etienne Tourigny wrote:
>>
>> AFAIK, you have to build your own version (preferrably master) with a
>> different install prefix (e.g. /home/softdev/), and when you want to use
>> that version you need to add relevant paths to PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>>
>> I have a shell function that sets this up on demand:
>>
>> setup_softdev()
>> {
>> export SOFT_PREFIX=/home/softdev
>> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home/softdev/lib"
>> export LIBRARY_PATH=/home/softdev/lib
>> export LD_RUN_PATH=/home/softdev/lib
>> export PATH=/home/softdev/bin:$PATH
>> export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/home/softdev/include
>> export C_INCLUDE_PATH=/home/softdev/include
>> export CPPFLAGS=-I/home/softdev/include
>> export PYTHONPATH=/home/softdev/lib/python2.7/site-packages/
>> export GDAL_DATA=/home/softdev/share/gdal
>> }
>> export -f setup_softdev
>>

>> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 5:19 PM, Rémi Bovard <remi.bovard at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I'm wondering if there is there a simple way to run stable and master
>> versions of QGIS on Ubuntu? By simple, I mean - if possible - without
>> compile QGIS from source.
>>
>> For now, as described in doc [1], I edit /etc/apt/sources.list to define

Bernd Vogelgesang
Siedlerstraße 2
91083 Baiersdorf/Igelsdorf
Tel: 09133-825374