[Qgis-developer] Run stable and master versions of QGIS on Ubuntu

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Mar 11 13:20:29 PDT 2014

On 03/11/2014 01:10 PM, Bernd Vogelgesang wrote:
> Am 11.03.2014, 20:35 Uhr, schrieb Eric Goddard <egoddard1010 at gmail.com>:
>
>> You could try downloading the source package for gdal and modifying
>> the debian/rules file to add the necessary --with-FileGDB and
>> --with-MRSID=... lines. Installing the modified gdal with the package
>> manager should allow it to be used with the stable QGIS from the
>> ubuntuGIS repo and the development version from debian-nightly. I've
>> never actually done this with ubuntu/debian but I do the equivalent on
>> Arch Linux. For ubuntu you would do something like:
>>
>> mkdir ~/build
>> cd ~/build
>> sudo apt-get build-dep gdal
>> apt-get source gdal
>> cd gdal-1.10.0 # or whatever directory it unpacks...
>> nano debian/rules
>> ##edit file to include the necessary --with-FileGDB and --with-MrSID
>> lines and cd back to the main package directory and build the package:
>> cd ..
>> dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -nc
>>
>> install the packages with something along the lines of
>> sudo dpkg -i gdal*
>>
>> Assuming that worked, you would then probably want to put a hold on
>> gdal so it doesn't get updated and lose your customizations.
>>
>> disclaimer: I have never tried this with ubuntu, but that appears to
>> be the general flow from a little bit of googling.
>>
>> Eric
>
> Hi Eric,
> thanx a ton for your input.
> I'm still quite unfamiliar with building from source and how all these
> things play together.
>
> What I still do not get is, why my requirements seem to be so "exotic",
> that there is no easier way for all this. But maybe I manage to solve
> all this and maybe post it somewhere.
> Lots of googling ahead ... after already googling a lot.
>
>> Assuming that worked, you would then probably want to put a hold on
>> gdal so it doesn't get updated and lose your customizations.
> I assume that too, but how would I do "put a hold on gdal"?
>

> Cheers
> Bernd

It's called Pinning in the debian world. In synaptic you highlight the
package in the list, then to Package -> Lock Version

The command line fu way is to edit an apt file like this example (just
change the package names)
http://askubuntu.com/questions/23578/how-do-i-pin-a-particular-mysql-version-to-avoid-unnecessary-upgrades

Enjoy,
Alex