[Qgis-developer] [gdal-dev] Fix for QGIS 2.2+ Projection issue with OSGB36 NTv2

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Fri Mar 14 06:44:48 PDT 2014

Hi

The info for OSGB36 NTv2 is in srs.db now.

 >Makes me think - could QGIS ship with the freely available gsb grids,
in an optional package (say qgis-datum-grids)?  It would be rather
convenient, especially as QGIS now >supports them (but does not ship
with any grids yet, unless mistaken).

I'm receiving frequent suggestions of bundling .gsb files with QGIS. The
problems I see with this are:
- It adds the extra MB for QGIS too.
- They come with various licences.
- .gsb files are usefull for all tools working with proj. So a logical
choice would be to have an optional package for proj4.

Regards,
Marco

On 13.03.2014 18:20, Etienne Tourigny wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 4:27 AM, Marco Hugentobler
> <marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
> <mailto:marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch>> wrote:
>
>     Hi
>
>     I'm adding the entries for OSGB36 NTv2 to srs.db.
>     For the .gsb file, you could probably contact the proj4 project if
>     they want it to distribute it togethere with the library (if the
>     license allows that).
>

> I guess that's unlikely they would add it to the binary packages, as
> it would add a few MB to the base install.  But they might add it to
> proj-datumgrid-1.5.zip (which contains many free datum files), as the
> licence for the grid is BSD.
>
> Makes me think - could QGIS ship with the freely available gsb grids,
> in an optional package (say qgis-datum-grids)?  It would be rather
> convenient, especially as QGIS now supports them (but does not ship
> with any grids yet, unless mistaken).
>
> cheers,
> Etienne
>

>     Regards,
>     Marco
>

>     On 11.03.2014 18:23, Etienne Tourigny wrote:
>>     You email should be sent to the qgis-developer list (this is the
>>     gdal-dev list), which I am forwarding this to.
>>

>>     On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 7:44 AM, Nicholas Duggan
>>     <dragons8mycat at live.co.uk <mailto:dragons8mycat at live.co.uk>> wrote:
>>
>>         Hi all,
>>
>>         I'm trying to get my fix for the OSGB36 to WGS84 using
>>         Ordnance Surveys OSTN02 (NTv2) transformation into the QGIS
>>         master. Nathan Woodrow recommended I bring it up with you
>>         guys who might be able to implement it.
>>
>>         Essentially I've updated the QGIS srs.db and put the
>>         OSTN02_NTv2.gsb in the Share/Proj folder, full description
>>         and files are here:
>>         http://dragons8mycat.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/gis-tips-getting-ostn02-to-work-with-qgis-2-2/
>>

>>         Is this something which can be implemented by yourselves or
>>         can you point me in the right direction for getting it put in
>>         the master/future releases?
>>
>>         Thanks,
>>
>>         Nick D (@dragons8mycat)

>     --
>     Dr. Marco Hugentobler
>     Sourcepole -  Linux & Open Source Solutions
>     Weberstrasse 5, CH-8004 Zürich, Switzerland
>     marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch  <mailto:marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch>  http://www.sourcepole.ch
>     Technical Advisor QGIS Project Steering Committee

Dr. Marco Hugentobler