[Qgis-developer] User profiles

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Mar 17 02:42:34 PDT 2014

On 17-03-14 10:28, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 7:19 PM, Vincent Picavet
> <vincent.ml at oslandia.com <mailto:vincent.ml at oslandia.com>> wrote:
>
>     Integrating UI custom settings sharing into the (future)
>     django-powered QGIS
>     resource sharing site would be great too.

> To me this is overkill and brings a lot more problems then it really
> needs.  It feels like a solution without a problem.  We already have
> plugins in which users can create their own toolbars and add logic.  If
> the usability of the main toolbars are an issue (which they are at
> times) then we need to fix it in core for everyone rather then band aid
> solutions.  If there is a need to have custom toolbar layouts using
> existing actions so a user can create there own "super toolbar" then
> this would be a (easy) core feature but I don't really think it needs to
> be shareable - expect maybe a export from settings for admins if needed.

I agree with Nathan here, and we discussed the 'exporting' of the
QSettings already... For my use-cases I think that is enough: the
QSettings holds connection names and params, which plugins are enabled
and which toolbars are visible and where they are placed.

After we have the "Djago based sharing sites (like for icons/styles etc
etc), we could create profiles there and make QSettings aware of that.
Same with other preferred settings: if we make QSettings the central
place for that, we should be fine with sharing QSettings files and

Off course that means that if you move (and load TBD!) this (QSettings)
file around, you also need the plugins to be available. But that can be
fixed to?: while reading in the QSettings (file), and finding a plugin
activated which is not there, we can maybe fetch it?

@paolo: I see your mail about 'profiles'. To me it seems that you want
to duplicate something like QSettings (a file holding ALL information
for given 'profile').

This would work if you pass around different QSettings-files and start
up QGIS with one of those?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde