[Qgis-developer] Possible bug when turning edit mode off and on "too often"

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Fri Mar 21 08:27:55 PDT 2014

Hi Devers,
Using 2.2 on Win 7 64 - but this was also evident in 2.01 on the same
platform.

I'm dealing with a number of shapefiles (2 point layers, 9 line layers
and 18 area shape file layers) - the total number of geometry elements
is not high (probably less <1000),  but there are still a reasonable
number of vertices in the mapset.

I find that after toggling edit mode a few times (may even less than
10), the time to save the layer edits increases to "minutes", and so
does the time taken to toggle edit mode.

Last year November I was running around on a field trip with a laptop
running QGIS 2.0.1 in the car all day, and occasionally it hung, so we
rebooted and redid our most recent edits. I'll bet that that was the
same issue as below.

Last week, now using v2.2 on my desktop I found that the above slowing
down scenario started, and I just left the PC supposedly with a "hanging
" QGIS. I came back much later and QGIS was responsive again until I
touched the toggle edit button, or saved my edits.
I timed it and it took an hour and 5 minutes to be responsive again.

The same thing is happening right now, but it is currently only going
dizzy for about 3-4 minutes.

I'm going to try restarting QGIS to see if that helps, if not then I'll
re-boot and if it still does not help then that would suggest that the
issue is with the data structure and not necessarily somewhere else.

But for now, has anyone else had these "slowing down" issues?

Regards & chat soon,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za