[Qgis-developer] Duplication of functionality: Data-defined size and Size scale field

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr
Tue Mar 25 12:57:56 PDT 2014

agreed, current situation is confusing and prone to bugs.
first drawback of proposed solution: advanced fields were a bit more user
friendly (user interface> no formula), and data defined settings are hidden
one step deeper in dialogs. I also remember how trainees reacted last week
when I explained data defined properties: lost..

If we do that, we need to find a more readable interface interface for data
defined properties. It is unclear to the user if some options are activated
in there or not. A visual flag could do the trick, or a complete gui review,
to avoid another subdialog. (hierarchical view is the current ergonomy
option, and I like it).

I'm really wondering if the right solution could not be an assistant asking
for min size, proportional rules to apply( linear, square tail, improved
square tail (exp 0.57) .. ) and showing and generating a legend preview
based on a data sample. Assistant will then fill the right expression in
data defined expression, and tell the user where to find it.

I have been sharing thoose thoughts with Martin Dobias who has legend
refactoring in his roadmap. Martin, any opinion?

Cheers
Régis