[Qgis-developer] Vienna hackfest: QGIS Legend discussion

kimaidou kimaidou at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 02:21:13 PDT 2014

Hi all

This discussion is very interesting indeed. I am thinking about some
features we already talked about in the past and which could be great to
have (but which can be antinomic...)

* let the user choose an image for the legend instead of the QGIS image.
SVG would be the best format for this. Imagine complicated expression based
rules. I am not sure we can have an robust programmatic way to build an
automatic legend image taking all QGIS style capabilities into account
(expressions, rules, blending mode, etc.). Sometimes, an SVG image made in
Inkscape would be the way to go

* display the legend as an interactive tree to let the user deactivate one
or several rules or classes. Toggling one of the classes will just hide the
corresponding features in the map. I think the feature would be a great
addition, but it is a different approach that just diplsaying an image.
What about having both options if possible : the user could decide layer
per layer if the legend must be interactive (with checkboxes) or if he just
want a static image to be generated and displayed.

* As Regis Haubourg often recall, it could be great to have an option to
parse the vector layer data and display a legend which takes expressions
based style into account, for example for proportionnal circles or coulours
depending on an expression. But as I said before, it can be tricky to
generate a good looking image for some styles;

Michael