[Qgis-developer] [GRASS-dev] GRASS & QGIS: the future

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Fri Mar 28 03:48:29 PDT 2014

Il 28/03/2014 08:34, Paolo Cavallini ha scritto:

> Thanks to all for the interesting comments. Obviously we have a varied
> and rich ecosystem here, that's why I want to preserve it.
> Obviously we all want to have all. IMHO the points are:
>
> * can we (GRASS+QGIS) agree on a specific course of actions?
> * can we find the resource to implement it?
>
> Of course we could think of sticking with GRASS6, but I think sooner or
> later this will be untenable (e.g. major distros will switch to GRASS7
> once out), so better prepare now.

Quick interesting chat with Luca Delucchi and Martin Landa from GRASS
dev team.
One interesting option would be:
* to add GRASS browsing capabilities in QGIS file browser
* to add support to direct GRASS reading (possibly writing) in
Processing, and avoid import/export whenever possible; v.external and
v.out.external could be used for this; this is probably the thoughest part
* of course modules should be upgraded anyway
* GRASS direct digitizing can be skipped; heavy digitizer can use GRASS
directly
* keep a GRASS shell?
* with all the above, upgrading the plugin may probably be skipped.

Any thoughts.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu