[Qgis-developer] Geospackage Slow in QGIS

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Sat May 17 07:26:34 PDT 2014

> Hi Giovanni.
>
> You have point an interesting question.
> The question is:
>
> geopackage and spatialite will be binary compatible (almost in the blob
> where there are store the geometry) ?
> I guess no because I don't realize how a geopackage spec could support
> some different binary formats.

No, the Geopackage BLOB is different from Spatialite. Have a look to the
paragraph 2.1.3.1.1 in the Geopackage specification.

> If this is true (i cannot be sure now, hope wrong obviously)
> this mean that will be another different format in a sqlite.

The Luciad libgpkg has a compatibility mode for Spaltialite 1.x,2.x and
3.x, which *should* guarantee read/write correctness for Spatialite layouts.
Anyway, GDAL has its own implementation, and the gpkg driver is strictly
directed to the Geopackage layout.

> The first is spatialite, the second is the porting of qgis to spatialite,
> the third is this next coming version of geopackage on spatialite.

Yes, it will be a mess! :)
When you will receive e sqlite DB what of the three forms will it be? Trial
and error, if you don't know it ;)

giovanni