[Qgis-developer] Field Calculator "permanence"

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Fri Nov 7 07:54:06 PST 2014

Hi,
I'm using QGIS 2.6.0 on Win 7 x64 - installed via OSGEO4w

Is there a way to store your field calculator expression to always
process and update that specific field, should geometry be edited or
created for that Layer?

Let's say I want to create a blank POINT shape file, with a text
attribute called "Sheet".
Whenever a POINT is created or moved, I want this field to be
dynamically updated with:

      tostring(abs(toint($y)))+tostring(abs(toint($x)))

For testing thus far have:

  * created 2 points
  * Opened the field calculator, clicked 'Update Existing Field' and put
    in the expression.
  * The two existing points now have the correct TEXT values in the
    Sheet field
  * I close the Field calculator
  * Create a new point in my layer
  * open the attribute table to find that the 'Sheet' field for this new
    point is blank
  * I open the Field Calculator and I cannot even find a way to call
    back the previous expression I used.

Am I using the correct QGIS functionality to achieve what I need to, and
if so, where am I going wrong?

Thanks & regards,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za