[Qgis-developer] Field Calculator "permanence"

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Fri Nov 7 08:01:27 PST 2014

Hi Zoltan,

Since QGIS 2.6 this possibility exists. It is called "Virtual Field".
You must not create the attribute when creating the shapefile. Just open
the field calculator, create a new field in there and check the "virtual
field" checkbox.

Regards,
Matthias

On 07.11.2014 16:54, Zoltan Szecsei wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm using QGIS 2.6.0 on Win 7 x64 - installed via OSGEO4w
>
> Is there a way to store your field calculator expression to always
> process and update that specific field, should geometry be edited or
> created for that Layer?
>
> Let's say I want to create a blank POINT shape file, with a text
> attribute called "Sheet".
> Whenever a POINT is created or moved, I want this field to be
> dynamically updated with:
>
>      tostring(abs(toint($y)))+tostring(abs(toint($x)))
>
> For testing thus far have:
>
>   * created 2 points
>   * Opened the field calculator, clicked 'Update Existing Field' and
>     put in the expression.
>   * The two existing points now have the correct TEXT values in the
>     Sheet field
>   * I close the Field calculator
>   * Create a new point in my layer
>   * open the attribute table to find that the 'Sheet' field for this
>     new point is blank
>   * I open the Field Calculator and I cannot even find a way to call
>     back the previous expression I used.
>

> Am I using the correct QGIS functionality to achieve what I need to,
> and if so, where am I going wrong?
>
> Thanks & regards,
> Zoltan

> Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
> Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
> GIS and Photogrammetric Services
>
> P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.
>
> Mobile: +27-83-6004028
> Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za

Help getting QGIS to the next level of quality before November 15!
http://blog.vitu.ch/10102014-1046/crowdfunding-initiative-automated-testing