[Qgis-developer] QGIS 3.0?

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Sat Nov 8 00:42:18 PST 2014

Hi

QGIS 3 should come with python 3. I don't think that python 3 can be a
smooth transition so this would require us to make QGIS 4 and break
plugins once again.

Qt5 support does not require QGIS 3.

Geometry and Composer(Layout) may need QGIS 3. But then we can as well
just introduce python 3 as well.

Matthias

On 08.11.2014 09:11, Geodrinx wrote:
> Hello Nathan,
>
>> Personally I think we should still do 2.8, LTR it, and then we can do
>> 3.0 for the next release.
>>
>> Breaking the API again without a LTR in place makes me nervous as the
>> 2.0 API really wasn't that long ago.
>
> +1000  for  LTS
>
> I am with you:  please, stop to change the api.
> If we like new functions, please add them, without change old ones.
>
> Thank you
>
> Roberto
>

>> - Nathan
>>
>> On Sat Nov 08 2014 at 4:11:34 PM Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com
>> <mailto:nyall.dawson at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi all,
>>
>>     I'm just wondering - given a few large changes coming up, including:
>>     - qt5 support, possibly breaking plugins
>>     - potential composer redesign, breaking api
>>     - geometry rework, where an api break would result in a better
>>     foundation moving forward
>>
>>     ... is it worth exploring the idea of making the next release
>>     QGIS 3.0
>>     and breaking API? I know the original plan was for 3.0 to coincide
>>     with python 3 support, but that doesn't appear to be anywhere on the
>>     horizon yet.
>>
>>     Nyall

Help getting QGIS to the next level of quality before November 15!
http://blog.vitu.ch/10102014-1046/crowdfunding-initiative-automated-testing