[Qgis-developer] Stability (2.8 LTS) vs development (3.0), a proposed way forward

Roy royroge at outlook.com
Mon Nov 10 02:03:38 PST 2014

Hi Paolo and all developers,

Il 10/11/2014 09.42, Paolo Cavallini ha scritto:

> Il 10/11/2014 09:31, Martin Dobias ha scritto:
>
>> really valued much beyond the above scores, but it's nice to see
>> people get excited about such geeky stuff.
> Hi all,
> I hate cooling down the enthusiasm, but I really see LTS as an empty
> word. To me, the whole issue boils down to having resources to do
> serious backporting of fixes. Without that, LTS will have no practical
> effect, as users will use the latest, more bugfixed version.
> This is exactly what has happened in the past.
> So from my point of view what we need is not +something, but funders
> supporting backporting. I'd be against spending our limited core
> funding for this.

Reading this post i get a bit confused about the future of QGIS and its
target,
because in the QGIS Release schedule for 2015 (QGIS web site) there is
a "2.8 LTR" release,
maybe this LTR release is to be bugfixed,
maybe just a release to stuck with if you don't like to switch but with
no planned bug fixing,
this is no clear to me ...

> In short: power users, if you need stability, please set aside some
> funds to stably support a backporter, year round, and you'll have your
> much sought after long term stability.

It is also nice to have someone who keeps us with our feet on the ground :-)

thanks and regards,

Roy.