[Qgis-developer] Stability (2.8 LTS) vs development (3.0), a proposed way forward

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Mon Nov 10 02:13:47 PST 2014

Hi all,

QEP #4 allows to do backports for every release. Not only LTR. 2.6.1
will be very welcome.

LTR releases will be available for 1 year and will receive bugfixes
during that time. That's not going to happen magically. That requires
power users and organizations to help the development. Thank you Paolo
for raising this important point.

QEP #4 IMO outlines a frame in which organizations have more security in
what they invest. Documentation will be valid for a longer timeframe.
Things are less likely to break. There is the possibility of introducing
a new bug with another fix. But that's not a reason at all to not fix
something. Organizations which are using LTR will probably now already
be testing new releases heavily before they deploy. That will help to
discover such bugs fast.

Backporting features is not something I would like to see. That really
introduces a bigger risk of breaking things. If that's done we could
just stick to the current release schedule. (For every feature you will
find somebody who asks for a backport to LTR).

To me, QEP #4 is a wonderful plan. It needs the support of organizations!
Maybe some organizations can build a pool with funds and Q/A that is
determined to maintain that version?

Regards,
Matthias

--
Help getting QGIS to the next level of quality before November 15!
http://blog.vitu.ch/10102014-1046/crowdfunding-initiative-automated-testing