[Qgis-developer] [HackFest] Synthesis of fTools discussion

Yves Jacolin yjacolin at free.fr
Sat Oct 4 08:33:04 PDT 2014

Hello,

We had a discussion about the futur of ftools plugins here at Essen. This
email aims to sum up the discussion to get more feedback.

# Some Context

Camptocamp wants to contribute to the ftools plugin for one of our customer.
We have some issues on this plugin on which we want to work on with the
community.

The community (Victor and Alexander mostly I guess, may be other dev) worked
to port ftools feature into processing.

We have now two parts of code to maintain.

# Issues

* Interface improvement
* performance issue
* missing feature in processing algorithme
* translatable algorithme

# Interface improvement

Tim worked on this for the inasafe project in order to improve ui in
processing. There are also some possibilities to create custom interface for
each algorithm.

# Performance issue

The Python code could be improved to get better performance. Some other
possibilities could be to port the code to C library or to use GEOS library
(Martin tested this with some good performance improvement).

# Missing features

This is not a technology problem, just need some love from someone. As soon as
all feature from ftools will be in processing plugin we can think about the
futur of ftools: do we need to completly remove it or to plug-in ftools
features to processing one, or other? Though?

# Translation

Thanks to Alexander, the processing plugin is now translatable, just need some
love from our translator community after updating transifex.

I hope my synthesis is not wrong or misleading, please correct me in this
case. All comments are welcome.

Y.