[Qgis-developer] [HackFest] Synthesis of fTools discussion

Alexander Bruy alexander.bruy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 13:58:46 PDT 2014

Hi Yves,

> The community (Victor and Alexander mostly I guess, may be other dev) worked
> to port ftools feature into processing.

Actually almost all fTools algoritms already available via Processing,
only few are
"missed". This "missed" algs now also ported, but not commited into
master because
of feature freeze.

> # Performance issue
>
> The Python code could be improved to get better performance. Some other
> possibilities could be to port the code to C library or to use GEOS library
> (Martin tested this with some good performance improvement).

Just remebered that some fTools algorithms were ported to C++ by Carson Farmer
(original fTools author) several years ago. One can find this
algorithms in QGIS analysis
library, look at QgsOverlayAnalyzer [0] and QgsGeometryAnalyzer [1].
Maybe it is better
to update this code instead of writing new one.

> # Missing features
>
> This is not a technology problem, just need some love from someone. As soon as
> all feature from ftools will be in processing plugin we can think about the
> futur of ftools: do we need to completly remove it or to plug-in ftools
> features to processing one, or other? Though?

As I said, almost all fTools functionality already available and
missed algorithms
are ready to merge.

Regarding fTools (and maybe GDAL Tools) removal, I think we need to wait until
Processing can completely replace this plugins.

[0] http://qgis.org/api/classQgsOverlayAnalyzer.html
[1] http://qgis.org/api/classQgsGeometryAnalyzer.html

--
Alexander Bruy