[Qgis-developer] Please stop spamming commit logs!

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 05:57:44 PDT 2014

> Hi Matthias,
>
> On Fri, 10. Oct 2014 at 11:53:28 +0200, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
>> To make an example, this is a good commit message.
>>
>> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/commit/a132bc9a9e318c2321c8fba13dc9503b4d11e2aa
>>
>> It states
>>  * which problem it solves
>>  * and what it does exactly
>>
>> And I could not care less about an additional line at the bottom stating
>> "Funded by John Wayne"
>
> Almost.  It should have "Fixes #8166" in it to automatically link to the issue
> and close it - Bugfix #8166 doesn't create that link.

Good hints. If it's not already in CODING, we could add these
guidelines in that file.

Also, since most of you don't seem to be annoyed by the "funded by"
sentences, I  think we can agree on Victor's proposal: if the new
feature/bug fix etc. was funded by an organization, a company or an
individual, a single line (80 chars max) sentence can be added as the
last line of the commit, after a blank line.

That line should be added only in the last "merge" (final) commit and
not on all and every individual commit.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it