[Qgis-developer] Please stop spamming commit logs!

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 04:50:55 PDT 2014

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Jonathan Moules <J.Moules at hrwallingford.com
> wrote:

> At the risk of being a dissenting voice, is this really the message QGIS
> wants to spread? That sponsorship is king? As an Open Source GIS project, I
> would hope that its prowess lay in producing exceptional GI software rather
> than finding sponsorship. The later is a means to an end.

Well I guess money does make the world go around.  A lot of the cool
features in QGIS were the result of sponsored work, without that
sponsorship somethings might have never happen. Developers and community
many exceptional software which is driven by sponsors and the community.  I
don't really see any harm in giving a hat tip to the sponsers because a lot
of them invest a lot of cash into QGIS.   This is of course not to say that
we should just change to a "give us all your money!" model but that is not
what is going to happen, or is happening now.

> Also, what qualifies as “funded by”? There was a monetary transaction? In
> which case what about the people who donate code they created in their own
> time and have received no fiscal incentive at all – should not their
> contributions be similarly highlighted?

I would like to see a more public list of those who spent time on each
version, including translators, and doco writers, and sponsors. All of this
can be pulled from the git logs and using the funded by tags is a good way
to find money based features/bugs.

- Nathan.