[Qgis-developer] QGIS certification

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue Oct 14 15:10:51 PDT 2014

Hi

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 5:02 PM, Trevor Wiens <tsw.web at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that certification is a good idea and that some standard training
> materials tied to that make sense. On that effort I have two points.
>
> First, I would suggest that if there is an effort to have QGIS
> certification, then this should be coupled with a discussion a while back
> to stable releases where effort is made on bug squashing and not new
> features. The reason for this is that certification on commercial platforms
> is tied to specific versions and thus companies investing in certification
> for their staff will expect the same type of effort. In my mind this seems
> naturally tied to an effort to put forward QGIS as a viable alternative to
> commercial tools for governments, NGOs and companies.

We have detailed a plan for this during the Essen hackfest - please see

https://github.com/timlinux/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/blob/master/QEP-3-QGIS_Long_Term_Releases.rst

I hope that we can make 2.8 the first LTR release.

> Second, I use QGIS to teach a Intro GIS course at the University of
> Calgary's Continuing Education department. Much of those materials are
> targeted toward using QGIS as a means to teach GIS not the particular
> features of QGIS. That said if there was an effort to setup standard QGIS
> educational materials I would be willing to contribute whatever parts of
> those materials that would be useful.
>
> Yes there are efforts towards this. We already have some resources and we
have been in discussions to build on these. Perhaps we can start using the
mostly unused QGIS-Edu mailing list to coordinate and collaborate - it
would be great to have your inputs (and anyone else interested in this
topic).

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-edu/

Regards

Tim

> TSW
>
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 8:31 AM, matteo <matteo.ghetta at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> as pointed out in Essen, in a (I hope quick) future there will be the
>> change to some people to give official QGIS certificates.
>> These people should be authorized by the "core team" and the
>> certification money will go to QGIS.
>>
>> So, for example, I'm authorized and I made a course by myself with my
>> company to 10 people. 3 of them are interested to have an official QGIS
>> certification, they pay something and that's all, right?
>>
>> In the Internet I found this website:
>>
>> https://www.coursera.org/
>>
>> it offers courses for free with scheduled homeworks, tutorials, videos,
>> data, etc...
>> So I can join the class for free, attend the lessons and do all the
>> quizzes and assignments. But, if I want a "Coursera" certification that
>> proves that I attended successfully the course I have to pay for this
>> certification (around 50 bucks).
>>
>> Do you think that this method can also fit for QGIS? I mean, maybe a
>> section in the website (or somewhere else) where you can do a course and
>> earn an official certificate?
>>
>> Suggestions are welcome!!
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> Matteo