[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-user] Iconset from Google

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 23:54:17 PDT 2014

> Il 21/10/2014 21:59, kimaidou ha scritto:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think we could use the same feature as in processing for sharing scripts and
>> models. It is based on a git repository, and works quite well. It would be
>> sraitforward for devs to add icons, and users would be able to choose which icon set
>> they want to download and then upgrade.
>
> Hi Michael,
> sounds interesting, as it avoids entirely the complexity of a web-based application,
> and could be implemented soon, with minimal effort. This holds true for symbols and
> styles as well.
> Any comment? Any taker?
> All the best.

Hi,

this topic has been addressed several times during the last few years,
the current situation is that a Django app skeleton for a symbology
and styles is already available from a GSOC work at
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Django/tree/gsoc_remote/qgis-app/symbols.

Unfortunately, after having examined the code during the HF in Wien we
decided that it was not production ready, and we have no time and
resources to improve the code. A rough estimate of the time required
to improve/complete the app and test/deploy it is 7 working days (for
the symbology application only).

But this would be only part of the development since we still would
require (in any case) the QGIS desktop integration part.

That said, I'm not against using a github based solution, even if I
don't generally like the idea that we depend more and more on external
sources.

An argument in favour of the Django app is that it would probably
allow for a tighter integration with the website, exactly like the
plugin website does.

I don't know anything about the amount of time/resource needed to
complete the github-based solutions though.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it