[Qgis-developer] QuickOSM as default plugin for OSM data

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Thu Sep 4 08:28:50 PDT 2014

Am 04.09.2014 13:24, schrieb Anita Graser:
> Hi Matteo,
> Thanks for raising this issue! From my (user) perspective, I totally
> agree that QuickOSM is much more usable than the current core OSM
> functionality (which I cannot get to work properly at all).

I get it to work, but sometimes features are missing. Alternatively, it
is possible to load OSM data that is already downloaded with Vector ->
Add vector layer through GDAL. That seems to deal a bit better with
features that are modelled as multipolygon relation.

The QuickOSM plugin focusses on filtered download, which the other two
do not offer. The basic filtering can be on any key or key-value pairs.
It is a bit nasty to type in the key manually, a preset dropdown list
(e.g. the keys that osm2pgsql imports by default) would be nice.

> I cannot
> comment on the dev perspective too much though but it does not seem
> like the current OSM core plugin is the best technical solution
> either.

One thing that the current OSM plugin and GDAL do better is using a
spatialite database instead of a shapefile like QuickOSM does. This
leads to truncated key names, which is a regression compared to the others.

I suggest to review the code, and merge the three possibilites to get
OSM data into one core plugin. Unfortunately, I can not help much on coding.

Greetings,
André Joost