[Qgis-developer] SVG Export from print composer as raster?

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 04:18:54 PDT 2014

Hi Andreas

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 9:10 PM, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that SVG symbols (from point and pattern symbology) from print
> composer are exported as raster when exported as part of the map and
> from the legend item. However, SVG images from the image/photo item are
> exported as vector. This in both SVG and PDF format.

It seems that raster output from pattern fill is there by design
(either line or point pattern fill). The pattern is first converted to
image which is then used in a brush for polygon fill. This is not
specific to just SVG.

> Is there anything we can do about it that legend items and maps are all
> output as vectors?

I think that would need to employ additional rendering techniques for
true vector output - instead of simple pixel-based flood fill with
texture we would need to draw vectors masked to given polygon's area.

Regards
Martin