[Qgis-developer] Memory Layers - some proposals

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 13:31:26 PDT 2014

Hi all,

The recent discussion around memory layers in another thread has started me
thinking about the best way to expose them more readily to users.

As such, I've opened a pull request which ports Borys Jurgiel's "New Memory
Layer" plugin to core (PR #1591). Hopefully this can be merged for 2.6.
It's more or less a direct port - I've left it without the ability to
specify fields at creation time as I believe that field creation would
indicate that we are encouraging users to store real data in these layers,
which is something we should avoid.

What I'm thinking though is that we should rename "memory layers" within
the UI. The name suggests that they are remembered, and conveys more of a
permanent feel.

I think that for 2.6 we could rename them to "temporary scratch layers",
and then for >2.6 (after we port the memory layer saving plugin/decide on a
suitable format for saving them) drop the " temporary" part of this name.
So they'll be just "scratch layers".

Thoughts?

Nyall