[Qgis-developer] Memory Layers - some proposals

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Sep 24 23:41:28 PDT 2014

Personally I like the memory layer and use it frequently.

The icon idea sounds good to me. Ideally it could be a RAM icon combined
with the type of geometry (Point, Line, Polygon).

I also like the idea of having the memory layer as a core feature - but
then there should be a user-friendly way to copy/inherit attribute
columns from an already existing layer.

For the long run it would be very useful being able to save the memory
layer to any OGR format. Apparently it is already possible to load a
memory layer to the databases supported by the DB manager (Postgis,
SpatiaLite).

I think the memory layer would be very well suited for certain analysis
tasks where users don't want to fuss around with Shapefiles. They want
to test something and only if the result is satisfying they would save
the result.

I would also envisage the Processing framework to make use of the memory
layer for certain tasks.

Andreas