[Qgis-developer] Memory Layers - some proposals

Mathieu Pellerin nirvn.asia at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 23:51:54 PDT 2014

Nyall, I don't think there's a compatibility issue with memory layers.
Those are by their nature QGIS-dependant data, the same way ArcGIS can't
simply open a .qgs project file, a .qml layer properties file, etc.

One of the nice "feature" of memory layers (and its sister plugin memory
layer saver) is the fact that they are embedded within .qgs project files.
It should stay that way (which using GeoJSON within the XML structure of an
.qgs file would do). Transforming the .qgs project file into a zip
container would probably be a huge project driven by greater needs than
memory layers :)

Re Temporary Layers, I find it slightly better than Scratch Layer for non
native English speakers (i.e. more to the point in "simple" English :) ).